Mandarin Chinese, Simplified Script

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Jun 16 09:35:55 CEST 2005

At 08:23 +0100 2005-06-16, Debbie Garside wrote:
>You miss the point Peter... 639 is about language identifiers

Yes, it is. The codes represent the names of languages. You can apply
those codes to books, for instance, or to CDs, to indicate the
language used in those materials. A tag to indicate that the material
has no linguistic content could be useful. Note: useful.

ISO 15924 offers codes to represent the names of scripts. Three
special codes are also given, one to indicate that a material is in
an undetermined script, one to indicate a script that is uncoded, and
one --oddly-- to indicate a language which is unwritten. I don't know
if these codes have been used by any one, but they are not harmful.

My mistake. Zyyy Code for undetermined script has been used by the
Unicode Consortium as equated to the Common script property.