no linguistic content tag (was RE: Mandarin Chinese, Simplified Script)

Addison Phillips addison.phillips at quest.com
Wed Jun 15 21:18:04 CEST 2005

"No linguistic content" as opposed to the empty tag, that is, a declaration of the content not being composed of natural language?

I'm not sure I like the idea. The empty tag, while not quite the same level of declaration, implies this well-enough. We already have troublesome codes like MUL and UND. A "NOT" code would represent Yet Another Special Code. I like the empty tag much more for a situation like this. "Information items" that contain natural language generally should be separate from non-language bearing items.

Imagine "not-Latn-DE-1996"..... :-(

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect, Quest Software
Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.