Language tags, the phillips draft, and procedures

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Jan 9 23:24:28 CET 2005

At 14:57 +0100 2005-01-09, JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

>>>As I indicated to Misha, what would really help would be a list of
>>>motivated support from IAB, Chairs of the IETF WGs from the
>>>different concerned areas, and non-English or non-American mother
>>>tongue involved network experts or authorities.
>>
>>*This* is racist. A person's mother tongue being English does not
>>prevent him or her from being multilingual or from being
>>well-informed about linguistics and linguistic taxonomy. Nor does a
>>person's mother tongue being another language confer upon him or
>>her such expertise.
>
>But this absurd comment demonstrates a surprising non scientific
>bias or a real misreading ability. Even in Franglish an "involved
>network expert or authority" has a clear meaning.

You specified that the experts be people whose mother tongue is other
than English. Having English as a mother tongue does not curse a
person from having other languages or prevent him from having
linguistic expertise any more than having Swahili or Cheyenne blesses
a person with linguistic expertise. My comment was not absurd. Your
requirement was ignorant and provocative.