Language tags, the phillips draft, and procedures

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun Jan 9 14:57:20 CET 2005

At 13:04 09/01/2005, Michael Everson wrote:

>At 03:09 +0100 2005-01-09, JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
>
>>As I indicated to Misha, what would really help would be a list of
>>motivated support from IAB, Chairs of the IETF WGs from the different
>>concerned areas, and non-English or non-American mother tongue involved
>>network experts or authorities.
>
>*This* is racist. A person's mother tongue being English does not prevent
>him or her from being multilingual or from being well-informed about
>linguistics and linguistic taxonomy. Nor does a person's mother tongue
>being another language confer upon him or her such expertise.

Michael,
as you may have noted I am a very, very patient person. But this absurd
comment demonstrates a surprising non scientific bias or a real misreading
ability. Even in Franglish an "involved network expert or authority" has a
clear meaning.

This debate extensively uses English for usage examples. That language (and
its particulars, or lacks of) is fully covered: I never saw an example of
usage problem in Greek, Russian, Chinese, Arabic, Bambara, Afar, French of
Montfermeil, of the Cannebière or of Bercy, etc. in this debate. And I saw
DNS, new developments, other technical areas' needs objected. I saw
Word/LANGIDs and HTML related comments, but none related to other
text-processing cultures systems such LaTeX, PDF, Teletex etc.

We have well-informed linguistics and linguistic taxonomy and English
mother tongue experts a plenty: Misha provided a list and I am sure he can
extend it. What I ask is we are can hear from people able to say how the
proposed solutions fit their own areas of expertise: in network, in jargon
support, in arts, in diversified culture support and protection. etc. Also,
obviously from the entities I quoted and their national likes (it has been
documented enough there was no English legal authority), for their Internet
Community Trustee.

I see no reason for anyone objecting to such an inclusive desire. One does
not standardize about what is the dearest to people and the most important
to their dignity, in just listening to a small part of them even if they
are their best entomologists.

jfc