New item in ISO 639 - Southern Altai

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Oct 30 06:39:02 CEST 2004

On Fri, 30 May 2003 22:05:13 +0200, Håvard Hjulstad <havard at hjulstad
dot com> wrote:

> The ISO 639 Registration Authorities' Joint Advisory Committee (JAC)
> has approved the following:
>
> Alpha-3 identifier: alt
> (No alpha-2 identifier has been assigned.)
>
> English name: Southern Altai
>
> French name: altaï du Sud
>
> Southern Altai is a Northern Turkic language used in Asian Russia.

This new ISO 639 code was approved 17 months ago, and I still don't see
it listed in any of the files available on the ISO 639-2/RA Web site
(text or HTML, including the "change notice" page).

Was the approval of "alt" in May 2003 rescinded in some way?  If not,
how did it manage to escape being listed?

Are there any other ISO 639 codes like this?

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/