Another update to registry

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Oct 27 06:05:29 CEST 2004

Håvard Hjulstad <havard at hjulstad dot com> wrote:

> However, the tables at the ISO 639 web site
> (http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/iso639jac.html) does not (yet)
> reflect this. The items that were there since publication of ISO
> 639-2:1998 are still in the form they had in that edition. I am sure
> this is confusing to many users, and we need to look into how to fix
> that.
>
> But for members of this list: Names in inverted form and "normal" form
> have equal status. It is the "normal" form that now is the normal
> form...

The "alternative 8-bits" text file located at:

http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/ISO-639-2_values_8bits.txt

is the closest thing we have to an official on-line reference.  If you
could arrange to have that text file updated to match the underlying
database, that would be much more important (and quicker for you) than
updating the HTML tables.  I would prefer to be able to match the names
in the registry to the official ISO 639-2 names.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/