zh-min-nan example

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sun Jun 13 07:30:42 CEST 2004

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-

> It's certainly not very plausible.  The Ethnologue (and with fair
> probability the ISO 639-3) code for Southern Min is CFR...

No. I will set the ID for Southern Min in ISO 639-3 to be "nan"
precisely to provide backward compatibility with this pre-existing
registration. I will also include a macrolanguage ID "min", again, to
provide backward compatibility.

> chance that one of them will match an existing grandfathered code
> exactly is just about nil.

Where there is an IANA registration that uses an alpha-3 to extend an
ISO 639-1/-2 ID, like "zh-min", I have planned to include that ID in ISO
639-3.

I had not though about doing that for registrations using "i-", such as
"i-tao" -- just hadn't occurred to me. Some (e.g. ami, hak) already
matched Ethnologue, but a few do not.

Peter

Peter Constable
Microsoft Windows Division