A few questions

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sun Jul 11 03:41:50 CEST 2004

Tex Texin <tex at xencraft dot com> wrote:

> 2) Language then Region
> I have some materials where the authors feel the most important aspect
> is the country they are destined for not the language.
> I understand that a French speaking user ought to get French text,
> since text in another language is not useful.
>
> Nevertheless, for some situations, it may be appropriate to give a
> user in (let's say) France what ever is appropriate for that market in
> the language that is available, rather than giving them French text
> for another region.
>
> License agreements is one example. Among the most difficult items to
> translate, and no matter what language you want, I am giving you the
> agreement for your country that my lawyers say protects me.
>
> There are other examples, and I would like to know if there is
> interest in expressing prioritizations other than lang-script-region,
> and for example, declaring that certain content should be served based
> foremost on region.

I'm not sure this is within the scope of language tagging.

We have had a situation like this where country and language were more
or less orthogonal to one another, and a user who wanted fr-CA would be
equally dissatisfied (for different reasons) with either fr-FR or en-CA.
The two data items were simply treated as separate, not in any
hierarchical way.

If you wanted to fit this into the RFC 1766/3066/3066bis framework
somehow, it would certainly not be subject to the usual rules about
ranges and matching.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/