A few questions

Tex Texin tex at xencraft.com
Sat Jul 10 04:07:00 CEST 2004

First, I want to thank Doug for his prototype registry. Regardless of how we
decide to handle the issue, it is useful to see concretely what is under
consideration.

I have some questions for this lists' users of language identifiers, if you
don't mind.
I am not necessarily making proposals, but I want to understand or confirm how
these are used by others.

1) One region code
I find I sometimes have a need to identify content as being for several
countries.
It is not always possible to organize directories to make it work out.

I wonder why we don't allow more than one region code per identifier.
(Ignoring backward compatibility issues.)
Then I could distinguish material by their actual target markets.
Syntax something like: es-us+mx, for Spanish for US and Mexico.

Content needs different labels perhaps because of different regulations,
distributors, pricing strategies, etc.

Do others on this list have this need?

2) Language then Region
I have some materials where the authors feel the most important aspect is the
country they are destined for not the language.
I understand that a French speaking user ought to get French text, since text
in another language is not useful.

Nevertheless, for some situations, it may be appropriate to give a user in
(let's say) France what ever is appropriate for that market in the language
that is available, rather than giving them French text for another region.

License agreements is one example. Among the most difficult items to translate,
and no matter what language you want, I am giving you the agreement for your
country that my lawyers say protects me.

There are other examples, and I would like to know if there is interest in
expressing prioritizations other than lang-script-region,
and for example, declaring that certain content should be served based foremost
on region.

tex