draft-phillips-langtags-04 /2.4.2 Maintaining private-use

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 2 17:35:05 CEST 2004

Tex Texin <tex at xencraft dot com> wrote:

> Private use is a BAD thing where there are no agreements. Perhaps the
> caution against them should be more strongly stated.

I repeat what I said earlier this week:  Is it genuinely a problem, in
the real world, that people are using private-use codes or tags where
there is no agreement, leaving users clueless as to what they mean?

Can anyone cite instances where this was an actual problem?

Failing that, is the strength of the caution really a significant issue?

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/