Language Identifier List Comments, updated

Ivan Herman ivan at w3.org
Mon Dec 27 09:53:20 CET 2004

Tex,

some comments below based on my personal knowledge and background...

- I am surprised to see hu-HU and hu-SI as the only Hungarian extra tags. The Hungarian
minority in Slovenia is very small, the three biggest Hungarian minorities are in Romania,
Serbia and Slovakia, with also a minority in Ukraine and Austria. Even the last two are
(afaik) larger than the one in Slovenia. So either one has to add them all, or none...
B.t.w., if we really want to come no niceties, there is also a slovakian and serbian
minority in Hungary, so, eg, a sk-HU might be an issue (I certainly heard people speaking
serbian around Budapest when I was a kid). Finally, there is also a German minority in
Hungary, well alive and kicking (as an anecdote: the current German Foreign Minister,
Joschka Fisher, comes from that community...)

- AFAIK, catalan is also an official language of Andorra. You pick French there, then one
must be systematic and add catalan, too...

- I also think that for a casual reader it helps to say explicitly that zh-hant is the
Traditional Script in Chinese and zh-hans is the Simplified one. There is no distinction
right now. Also, I would add zh-hant to Hong Kong, and Macao, too.

- You list frisian both for the Netherlands and Germany. I am not sure whether they are
identical (just as fr-BE and fr-FR are not considered identical in this list...)

- I learn something every day... is walloon a genuinly different language? I thought fr-BE
would cover it... just nl-BE covers Flemish!

- Political problem: you list Yugoslavia *and* Serbia/Montenegro. Both refer to the same
political entity, afaik, and in both cases the Albanian of Kosovo has been forgotten! ;-(

- There is strong movement to revive Provencal in France. Whether it deserves a separate
entry, I am not sure, but you might want to consider it

I hope that helps

Ivan

--

Ivan Herman
W3C Communications Team, Head of Offices