Language Identifier List Comments, updated

Tex Texin tex at xencraft.com
Mon Dec 27 07:10:50 CET 2004

Hi Andrew,

I used several sources, the SIL ethnologue, and others. They often differed...

I think used the hausa info from the United Nations page:
http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/lang/gej.htm

It listed:
"Officially Recognized Language: Northern Nigeria, Togo, Sudan, Burkina Faso"

This page listed speaker counts (not sure how valid the data is though):
http://flw.com/languages/hausa.htm

"There are 18,525,000 in Nigeria, 3,250,000 in Niger, 23,500 in Cameroon, 9,600
in Togo, 500 in Burkina Faso,
418,000 in Sudan, 4,000 in Congo - 22,000,000 in all countries. Spoken as a
first language in large areas of
Sokoto, Kaduna, Katsina, Kano and Bauchi states, and in Niger. Spoken as a
second language in the northern half of Nigeria. Also in Chad, Benin, Ghana."

I'll make the other changes and additions.
Let me know if you still think ha in Sudan is incorrect.

tex
Andrew Cunningham wrote:

> Some correction Tex,
>
> In the entry of Sudan you list   ha (Hausa)  .. this isn't a Sudanese
> language, its from West Africa. You may also want to add din (Dinka) to
> the Sudanese entry.
>
> ar-SD (Arabic)  also this tag could be considered to be ambiguous .. is
> it the national language of Sudan (Standard Modern Arabic) or is it the
> Sudanese Arabic dialect?
>
> Also in the Niger entry you have  ff (Fula), this would be best written
> as ff-NE since fula/puel is spoken in a number of countries, and there
> is a variation between the orthographies used in each of those
> countries. Fulfulde (Fula/Puel) in Niger would be ff-NE and  ff-NG
> Nigeria while it would be ff-SN for Pulaar (Fula/Puel) in Senegal.
>
> Andrew
>
> **

Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898   mailto:Tex at XenCraft.com

Making e-Business Work Around the World