Year

han.steenwijk at unipd.it han.steenwijk at unipd.it
Mon Nov 24 13:33:33 CET 2003

Quoting "Addison Phillips [wM]" <aphillips at webmethods.com>:

> The registry can be used for *informative* registration of years, I
> think.
> In other words, you could still register a year subtag. It isn't
> required in
> order to use the subtag, but it is helpful to users to have that
> information.

I completely agree with you that registration would be most helpful. As your
example "grc-700BCE" for the Iliad shows, a year tag may indicate a point in
time, a date ante quem (my encyclopedia says that the Illiad was probably
written somewhere in the 8th century BC) or a date post quem (the existing
de-year tags).

> By reserving numeric tags for years, though, we provide a
> clear
> mechanism for linguists and scholars to tag information in a
> historical/chronological dimension (in the same way that there is a
> geographical dimension in the region subtag).

I find the basic idea very attractive.

> I'm not sure that ranges make sense. Historically it seems like
> year-based
> subtags have referred to the start of the new regime.

The history of year-based tags consists of the two tags "de-1901" and "de-1996"
and their variants. That may be too little for generalising on possible use
cases.

> So if you have two
> year subtags, they presumably fall on boundaries, not in the middle
> somewhere, especially since tag matching currently is binary (a subtag
> matches or does not match, there is no semantic comparison).

To be more clear here, with my example "sl-rozaj-1801/1900" (a period including
starting and end point) I did not intend to have tags like "sl-rozaj-1845" (a
point) being matched by the former tag.

As things stand right now (without informative registration), a period is
indicated implicitely by the existence of a second tag that delimits the period
inclusively started by a first tag, eg. "sl-rozaj-1801" indicates the 19th
century because the application knows(?) that a second tag "sl-rozaj-1901" also
exists. So if I want to indicate pre-19th century Resian, I have to use a tag
with an arbitrary year like "sl-rozaj-1001" that is delimited because of the
existence of a tag "sl-rozaj-1801".

e-mail: han.steenwijk at unipd.it
tel.: (39) 049 8278669
fax:  (39) 049 8278679