Year

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Fri Nov 21 17:13:46 CET 2003

Hi Han,

Thanks for your comments. Here are my thoughts...

We explicitly didn't say what a year subtag meant. That's because it occurs
to us that there might be many things that a date might ultimately indicate,
not just the date of an official orthographic reform.

The registry can be used for *informative* registration of years, I think.
In other words, you could still register a year subtag. It isn't required in
order to use the subtag, but it is helpful to users to have that
information. By reserving numeric tags for years, though, we provide a clear
mechanism for linguists and scholars to tag information in a
historical/chronological dimension (in the same way that there is a
geographical dimension in the region subtag).

We dealt with BCE dates because it seemed like an obvious gap to fill in.
Besides, it gave me one more good example for the examples section
(grc-700BCE: now you know how to tag the Iliad!).

I'm not sure that ranges make sense. Historically it seems like year-based
subtags have referred to the start of the new regime. So if you have two
year subtags, they presumably fall on boundaries, not in the middle
somewhere, especially since tag matching currently is binary (a subtag
matches or does not match, there is no semantic comparison).

The use of the slash character ("/") is also not permitted under the current
rules for RFC 3066. That doesn't mean that slash couldn't be added, but I'd
rather think of some other mechanism. So far I don't see a reason for
ranges...

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com
Chair, W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.