Encoding scripts in tags: evil or just unpleasant?

Tex Texin tex at i18nguy.com
Fri May 23 17:00:09 CEST 2003

Keld,

ok, now I am confused. I thought (today) "sr" meant serbian regardless of
script, and the new proposal associates a default script to sr, changing sr to
mean cyrillic serbian.

You have written the opposite is occurring.

I looked at ISO 639 and I see nothing to indicate sr refers to a cyrillic
form, and I looked at the IANA language registry and see nothing about sr
there. I would have thought it was the same as "en" meaning any English.

How would one know that sr meant cyrillic under the current methodology?
Or did you not mean to say this?
tex

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> As I see it you are trying to redefine the meaning of the serbian
> language tag, from meaning "serbian (as costumarly written in the cyrillic
> script)", to "serbian (as written in any script)". Changing the meaning
> of registered entities is a no-no in normal registration administration.
>
> My proposed way out of this is to have associated scripts with a few
> language identifiers, such as cyrl with serbian.
>
> Best regards
> Keld

Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898   mailto:Tex at XenCraft.com

Making e-Business Work Around the World