Encoding scripts in tags: evil or just unpleasant?

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Fri May 23 13:56:02 CEST 2003

> As I see it you are trying to redefine the meaning of the serbian
> language tag, from meaning "serbian (as costumarly written in the
cyrillic
> script)", to "serbian (as written in any script)". Changing the
meaning
> of registered entities is a no-no in normal registration
administration.

Huh? Where in the heck do you get that "sr" requires *any* written
form, let alone that it must be Cyrillic? Is there some mysterious
hidden section of ISO 639 that I don't know about?

And if that were true, of course, than doing a filter on Serbian
documents would reject any Serbian written in Latin. I know my
collegue Vladimir would object strongly to that.

This is not a change of registered entities: your interpretation is
the unsubstantiated one.

Mark
http://www.macchiato.com
►  “Eppur si muove” ◄