Encoding scripts in tags: evil or just unpleasant?

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Fri May 23 12:58:50 CEST 2003

Peter_Constable at sil.org scripsit:

> I don't know the situation well enough to know how dominant either script
> is, but perhaps if there's any debate about whether Cyrillic is dominant
> enough, maybe that suggests it isn't dominant enough ?? I.e. perhaps we
> should only consider a default script to be implied by a language ID if
> there is no reasonable doubt that it is appropriate -- if it's completely
> obvious ??

I agree: only if completely obvious.  I once got into a debate where I
said that position X on issue Y was controversial, and someone replied
"It's not controversial at all!"  I contended (to no avail) that the
fact that he was arguing with me proved that I was right: he and I
by ourselves instantiated the controversy I claimed to exist!

--
John Cowan  jcowan at reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
"The exception proves the rule."  Dimbulbs think: "Your counterexample proves