FW: LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORMS

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Wed Apr 30 16:44:06 CEST 2003

The RFC does not specify *any* script for, say, "az". That means that
in language matching, it will pick up *any* Azeri; Cyrillic, Latin,
Arabic, whatever. If you want to be able to select out only Cyrillic
Azeri, then there has to be a code for that.

For resource lookup, it makes sense for an ISO-639 code to have a
"default" script. But for language matching, one of the principal
functions of the RFC, you need to have both the "overall" tag, plus
each of the variants.

Märk Davis
________
mark.davis at jtcsv.com
IBM, MS 50-2/B11, 5600 Cottle Rd, SJ CA 95193
(408) 256-3148
fax: (408) 256-0799