Why not? [Re: [Fwd]: Response to Mark's message]

Jon Hanna jon at spin.ie
Thu Apr 10 20:11:08 CEST 2003

> Absolutely we should deal with the two concepts separately, but
> sometimes they need to be brought together.

Of course. However I'd much prefer to see them brought together in a manner
that makes their point of connection clearer. As such I'd much prefer
"en-IE;Latn" to "en-Latn-IE" (or if not semicolons then some character not
in the production in RFC3066).
Even "en-IE-Latn" would at least seems somewhat more natural, (but that of
course would have the problem of being valid in the current RFC3066, and one
might assume it was a subdialect of Hiberno-English).

I don't see why applications that need this information can't do this. I
don't see much advantage in their not doing this. I can see good advantages
for those who don't know or don't care about one part of this.

<crystal_ball>It might also give us a more manageable mechanism for further
locale-dependent information</crystal_ball>