Why not? [Re: [Fwd]: Response to Mark's message]

John Clews Scripts2 at sesame.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 18:13:36 CEST 2003

In message <NDBBLCBLIMDOPKMOPHLHAEIBFAAA.jon at spin.ie> "Jon Hanna" writes:
> > In message <p05200a06babb085bdda3@[195.218.107.154]> Michael
> > Everson writes:

> > discriminate
> > transcription
> > >
> > > But why?
> >
> > But why not? Surely it is useful to make such distinctions sometimes,
> > especially the example given of Ipal.
>
> The possibility of a need for such fine-grained identifiers for scripts
> would further complicate the language codes above the complication of
> dealing with scripts at all.
>
> Another justification for my view that we should deal with the two
> separately?

Absolutely we should deal with the two concepts separately, but
sometimes they need to be brought together.
Perhaps we are misunderstanding each other.

Each _is_ separate (in two different standards, ISO 639 and ISO
15924). Each can be (or could be) brought together in ISO 3066bis,
through subtag mechanisms.

Just as elements from each of ISO 639 and ISO 3166 can be brought
together in ISO 3066bis, through subtag mechanisms, already.

I'd certainly want to see that distinction in some cases.

Best regards

John Clews

--
John Clews,