German Orthography language codes

Martin Duerst duerst@w3.org
Thu, 07 Feb 2002 05:40:17 +0900

Some comments:

At 21:17 02/02/06 +0100, J.Wilkes wrote:
>On 6 Feb 02, at 20:37, Torsten Bronger wrote:
>
> > I propose the language tag "de-DE-1996" for contents written in German
> > and using the new orthography introduced in Germany in 1996.

Whenever I heard of the project, it was always associated with
1998, not with 1996. How did you get to 1996?

>It may be of interest that the new orthography does not only introduce
>differents spellings, but also ambiguities and changes in meaning to
>some words and phrases. This may be not intended, but is factual
>nevertheless.
>Therefore, having a more precise tagging will help both human readers
>and software.

Interesting. Can you give an example?

> > Although it's highly unlikely, the use of a year subtag allows for
> > further reforms or revisions of the last one.  However, covering
> > orthographies before the digital age is way beyond language codes, so
> > "trad" is fully sufficient.
> >
> > I can't say anything about de-CH though, because I don't know what it
> > means.  The reform was also enforced in Switzerland, but there is a
> > Helvetician variant of German in existence that uses *very* different
> > vocabulary anyway.
>
>I don't know either whether Schwyzerduetsch is de-CH; its SIL code is s-
>GSW.

de-CH is usually used for the written (variant of) standard
(high) German used in Switzerland. There are only slight
vocabulary and orthographic differences. So creating de-CH-trad
and de-CH-199x makes sense.

Regards,    Martin.

Regards,    Martin.