[Errata Held for Document Update] RFC5890 (4823)

Markus Scherer markus.icu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 22:16:22 CEST 2016

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 12:58 PM, RFC Errata System <
rfc-editor at rfc-editor.org> wrote:

> Corrected Text
> --------------
> expansion of the A-label form to a U-label may produce strings that are
> much longer than the normal 63 octet DNS limit (potentially up to 59
> Unicode code points or 236 octets)

The "or 236 octets" is rather confusing, and irrelevant: Anyone dealing
with Unicode strings has an idea how they store them. It would be better to
drop this part.

If there is a desire to keep something like it, I suggest "potentially up
to 59 Unicode code points which in turn could be represented by up to 236
octets in any of the standard UTF encoding forms"

That would be pretty clear, but my preference is simply "potentially up to
59 Unicode code points" and be done with it.

Best regards,
markus