Eszett

Cary Karp cary at karp.org
Wed Aug 13 19:56:25 CEST 2014

Quoting Shawn:

>  > Exactly, but a there's a somewhat popular fussball.de site.  Users
> probably expect the sharp-s version to take them there.
>
> > Which it does when I try it. If others get a different result this
> whole thing is really screwed.
>
> Well, that’s likely because the browser developers are afraid of what the
> IDNA2008 change would do to that scenario and have implemented the
> transitional part of UTR#46.  If you followed pure IDNA2008, you could end
> up somewhere else.

Huh?!?

The zone file contains the A-label not the U-label, which unsurprisingly
also works when called directly. It's also what the registrant believes
they entered into the zone. A browser developer is free to decide which
form to display but implementing "could end up somewhere else"
functionality does not strike me as being inthe best interests of either
the registrant or user communities.

/Cary