I-D Action:draft-faltstrom-5892bis-02.txt

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Feb 22 09:33:46 CET 2011

Andrew Sullivan <ajs at shinkuro.com> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 03:43:20PM -0800, Mark Davis ? wrote:
>> The short-term issue is draft-faltstrom-5892bis-02.txt. I was asked to state
>> why I think it is incorrect. It is because is no compelling reason to break
>> stability of identifiers in IDNA for this one character. Instead, the
>> character U+19DA NEW TAI LUE THAM DIGIT ONE should be added as PVALID in
>> Section G.
>
> There's no compelling reason to add it either, though, given that
> everyone seems to agree that the chances of it actually being anywhere
> in the wild is almost certainly 0.  So why add an exception for a
> corner case?

To have an algorithm that produce stable output regardless of Unicode
version it is used with.  If you don't see any merit in that goal, I
understand why you don't see any compelling reasons for adding it.

> Note that I might feel much more strongly in agreement with you if
> IDNA2008 had actually come out in 2008.  But given how new it is, the
> deployed software is practically non-existent.  Adding an exception
> now is just extra work for no gain.

I don't understand what you mean here.  To me it will be a lot of work
if we _don't_ add the exception -- applications need a mapping layer to
deal with the newly introduced backwards incompatibility in IDNA2008.

/Simon