I-D Action:draft-faltstrom-5892bis-02.txt

James Mitchell james.mitchell at ausregistry.com.au
Tue Feb 22 03:05:56 CET 2011

Deployed software is existent and is in use in the .emarat IDN ccTLD.

Putting my cynical hat on, I would say that to recognise the character as an exception this group would have to admit it did not quite achieve the goal to make IDNA independent of Unicode. We could change the algorithm to automatically generate exceptions due to stability changes in new Unicode versions, however gut-feel is that this is overkill given the frequency and impact of stability changes.

Stability is more important to me than 'this character is most likely not used'. The IDNA algorithm has the ability to handle these occurrences through exceptions and we should not be afraid to make use of such features.

James