[Idna-arabicscript] mapping of Full Stops

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Oct 13 22:59:14 CEST 2009

On 2009/10/13 6:39, John C Klensin wrote:

> Maybe this situation is different from our friends final Sigma,
> Eszett, and the differences in interpretation of
> formerly-ignored characters in those respects, but I can't see
> how.

It's very different on various accounts:

- Eszett and friends are about characters inside a label at all times,
   Arabic Full Stop is about both inside a label and outside.

- Eszett and friends cannot be registered under IDNA 2003, but Arabic
   Full Stop can (but registries should exclude it by policy).

- The reason for using Arabic Full Stop as a label separator are only
   related to input convenience, not orthography. There's no problem at
   all displaying Arabic domain names with ASCII full stops.

That said, I agree with the conclusion to not change any of our
documents for this issue.

Regards,   Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp