[Idna-arabicscript] mapping of Full Stops

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Sun Oct 11 20:24:42 CEST 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Paul Hoffman <phoffman at imc.org> wrote:
> At 9:03 AM -0700 10/11/09, Erik van der Poel wrote:
>> Of course, the
>>IDNAbis mapping draft explicitly states that it is intended to be used
>>at the UI level (e.g. keyboard input), but, frankly, I don't think we
>>have much experience with IDNA implementations that distinguish
>>between the UI and data interchange levels.
>
> So, what do you propose instead? If this is a proposal to abandon draft-ietf-idnabis-mappings, you need to be more explicit about it. If it is not such a proposal, then you need to say what parts of the draft need to be abandoned to deal with your concern.

In my opinion, it is not necessary to abandon idnabis-mappings. It is
trying to solve a perceived problem at the UI level (which may be
somewhat unusual for an IETF document). As long as it is not
normative, it's fine with me. Maybe it should become an Experimental
RFC instead of Informational.

Erik