[Idna-arabicscript] mapping of Full Stops

Sarmad Hussain sarmad.hussain at nu.edu.pk
Tue Oct 13 20:04:13 CEST 2009

John, thank you for referring to the visual similarity to hyphen.  This creates an issue with U+06D4 (though evident only when one argues not collapsing it with hyphen):

	If U+06D4 is allowed, the domain name mail.mydomain.com.pk
	can also be represented as mail۔mydomain۔com۔pk (all Arabic full stops).
	However, this may be phished by mail-mydomain۔com۔pk (first hyphen,
	then Arabic full stops), which would take the user to mail-mydomain
	(with hyphen) instead of mydomain within .com.pk.

In this context, I agree with the group that this needs to be investigated further and would retract the request from the Last Call.

However, do note, in context of other comments, U+06D4 is a DISALLOWED code in IDNA200x protocol.  This does imply that any previous registered domain names with U+06D4 as part of the label would be rejected by any application conforming with the upcoming IDNA protocol

Thank you all for the fruitful discussion.

Regards,
Sarmad

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3811 (20090129) __________

http://www.eset.com