[Idna-arabicscript] mapping of Full Stops

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Tue Oct 13 00:44:45 CEST 2009

--On Tuesday, October 13, 2009 08:42 +1100 Wil Tan
<wil at cloudregistry.net> wrote:

> xn--klb.com (U+06D4 + ".com") is registered and resolves.

In other words, substituting a look-alike glyph, we have a
domain name that would appear to be
      -.com
we could also have U+06D4 U+002D U+06D4 and see
      ---.com
(in some fonts, the hyphen would be rendered a little higher
than the Arabic full stop)

I think think this illustrates several things, one of which
involves some rude words about both a certain registry and
ICANN's ability and willingness to enforce its guidelines.

In a different world (something I wouldn't suggest and the fact
that we are in Last Call has nothing to do with it), it would be
reasonable for us to be having a discussion, not about using
U+06D4 as a label separator (i.e., treating it is "dot"), but
about mapping it to hyphen-minus as a separator character inside
labels.