[Gen-art] LC review: draft-ietf-idnabis-bidi-06.txt

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Mon Oct 5 21:40:05 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 12:35:29PM -0700, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

> > At the moment, I can't reconstruct what we were thnking when we decided
> > to allow it.
>
> Neither can I.
>
> > The parenthetical remark can go without great loss; nothing depends on
> > it. But I wondre why we are allowing CS at all.
>
> I think the text of idnabis-bidi-06.txt should just remove CS
> from the list of characters allowed in either RTL labels or LTR labels.

I seem to recall a thread some time ago (I didn't rummage through the
archives to find it) that insisted that bidi not exclude any category
that was not _required_ to be excluded by the bidi rule.  The idea was
that a given category should only be ruled out by bidi if it is
necessary for the bidi rule, and for no other reason.  Any other
exclusions were to be covered by tables (and only tables).

This was all part of the argument for bidi standing on its own.

Again, I'm going exclusively from memory here.  But if I had to
construct an argument for leaving it alone, the above would also be
the line I'd take.  (That said, I have no strong opinion one way or
the other.)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.