When/how mapping happens

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Mon Mar 30 08:29:45 CEST 2009

Shawn Steele (???) skrev:
> Vince mentioned:
>
>> The current protocol spec has an appendix in which a two-lookup method
>> is suggested. If an non-mapping look up fails, then the IDNA2003-like
>> mapping function would be applied and another look up attempted. there
>> are other possible implementations, of course.
>>

> I would prefer that mapping be applied first (if desired), then lookup.
In terms of the algorithms specified in draft-ietf-idnabis-protocol-11
appendix A:

The A.1.1 and A.1.2 algorithms will give two lookups in the case where
IDNA2003 and IDNA2008 results in different Punycode strings (I think the
note at the end of A.1.1 is in error).

This will (as far as I understand) only occur in the case of our "four
problem characters"; for all other strings, both algorithms give at most
one DNS lookup.

A significant issue is whether the mapping should be exactly the
IDNA2003 ToASCII function or some other mapping; applying the IDNA2003
mapping means that we cannot reach labels containing our "four problem
characters", so if one applies mapping before lookup, one has also
assumed that the mapping to be applied is different from the IDNA2003
ToASCII algorithm.

                  Harald