When/how mapping happens

Shawn Steele (???) Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 27 20:36:36 CET 2009

Vince mentioned:
> The current protocol spec has an appendix in which a two-lookup method
> is suggested. If an non-mapping look up fails, then the IDNA2003-like
> mapping function would be applied and another look up attempted. there
> are other possible implementations, of course.

I would prefer that mapping be applied first (if desired), then lookup.  My reasoning is:

* There should be no mapping that maps a valid label to a different label. (In other words, my suggestion should have no net impact)

* If mapping is permitted to happen first, then applications can get away with one lookup, otherwise they have to try two lookups, which is harder at some layers.

* And, of course :), I'd like to reduce the steps in my implementation as much as possible, so this would help me.

I do not mean to give any more weight to the mapping step by this suggestion, I just hope to streamline implimentations.

- Shawn

http://blogs.msdn.com/shawnste