Touchstones for "Mapping"

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Wed Mar 25 00:16:03 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 03:46:01PM -0700, Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> 1.  Canonical forms:  encourage labels to be stored and displayed,
> whenever possible, in a canonical form.  The protocol only uses the
> canonical form.

Is that "labels" or "U-Labels"?  (I was going to ask this clarifying
question at the mic, but we were running out of time).  My own opinion
is that much of the time, if you have to store something, it would be
better to store the A-Label, becuase then you can be sure you could
actually resolve the same owner name if you had to do it again.  The
symmetry in IDNA2008 is a help in this case: it lets you do that and
get back "what the user typed".

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.