Eszett and IDNAv2 vs IDNA2008

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Sun Mar 15 19:11:09 CET 2009

At 4:40 PM +0100 3/15/09, Cary Karp wrote:
>How on earth did IDNA2008 become a matter of providing support for this
>handful of code points?

Note the subject line of this thread.

>I though it was primarily about ensuring that
>communities whose scripts aren't included in Unicode 3.2 will be
>accommodated without need for further protocol revision, as the Unicode
>repertoire is expanded.

You have conflated two communities here: those who have characters added in Unicode { 4.0 | 4.1 | 5.0 | and 5.1 }, and those whose characters will be added after Unicode 5.1. The former group, which is large, is taken care of automatically by both IDNAv2 and IDNA2008. The latter group, which is presumably much smaller, is take care of automatically by IDNA2008 and manually every few years by IDNAv(>2).

> Or that scripts which are in 3.2, but are
>barred from the IDN space because of flaws in IDNA2003, could similarly
>be made available.

Again, that is (I believe) taken care of with both IDNAv2 and IDNA2008.