numeric (ascii) labels (was: Re: draft-liman-tld-names-00.txt and bidi)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Mon Mar 9 22:32:03 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 09:11:16PM +0100, JFC Morfin wrote:

> We have have reserved the "00" TLD in the open roots

If these "open roots" are accepting DNS TLD labels that are only
numbers, I think they're on the wrong side of RFC 1123.

That said, I really don't want to turn this list into an alternative
venue for the consideration of draft-liman-tld-names-00.  I wanted to
ask a specific question here about numerals in ASCII labels and the
BiDi considerations.  I did so, and I'm still hoping that someone can
definitively answer the question about whether Punycode can ever
generate a label that ends in a digit.  Apart from that, I think the
additional discussion of the I-D is off charter.

If participants have things to say about draft-liman-tld-names-00, I
encourage them to go to the DNSOP list, where there is other
discussion about the draft.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.