numeric (ascii) labels (was: Re: draft-liman-tld-names-00.txt and bidi)

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Mar 9 21:11:16 CET 2009

At 19:29 09/03/2009, Vint Cerf wrote:
>Eric,
>On blackberry, so very briefly, DNS specs are not the sole guide to
>conventions. I think much pain would be avoided if we banned all
>numeric TLDs since this would assure no possible confusion of a host
>name and a IP address. Banning initial and trailing numerics might
>have bidi benefits but perhaps concerns there could be confined
>within the bidi rule set.

Vint,
I have no objection to that. The publicty would be great for the
ML-DNS and would create a clear and well advertised split with the ICANN world.

We have have reserved the "00" TLD in the open roots (TLDA) as a
"superTLD" for the Intersem ML-DNS vritual international root.
This is a very common throughout the non-ASCII world to use numeric
labels everyone can type on their keyboard ... or Barakberry.

All numeric TLD as per ISO 639-3, -6, or -7 language codes will then
permit to support languages. Let suppose that 1234 is the numeric for
English google.com.1234.00 means a call to Google using the NTIA root
through the English international relational space. Eventually,
typing 1234.00 on any keyboard should display an English browser interface.

jfc