Venn diagram in -defs-06

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Tue Mar 3 20:41:46 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 02:36:33PM -0500, John C Klensin wrote:

> tomorrow.  People who either want the binary and bit-string
> stuff out, who want other changes, or who want the figures
> pulled should say so on the list (and preferably supply their
> versions of the drawings)... RSN.

So, in case it wasn't clear before, in my opinion the diagram as it
stands is not consistent with the definitions in the document; but it
can be made consistent just by drawing a box around the text I already
indicated.  Other than that, I think the diagram is useful.

It is possible to construct an argument that a bit string label could
happen to fall entirely inside the 7 bit range and not be an "ASCII
label" as such.  As far as I can see, there would be no way to tell
the difference between such a bit string label and an ASCII label, so
I don't grasp how the additional distinction will help understanding.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.