Venn diagram in -defs-06

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Tue Mar 3 20:36:33 CET 2009

--On Tuesday, March 03, 2009 11:18 -0800 Erik van der Poel
<erikv at google.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> This is my personal opinion: The diagrams are still useful, but
> perhaps the binary and bit-string should be removed since they
> are not Non-ASCII text.
>
> If the working group agrees with you that this is splitting
> hairs, just leave them in.

Because I'd like to have time to spin a -08 before San Francisco
if I screw up in a major way, my target for getting a new
version of defs (-07), and, given some other changes, parallel
versions of Protocol and Rationale, out is about this time
tomorrow.  People who either want the binary and bit-string
stuff out, who want other changes, or who want the figures
pulled should say so on the list (and preferably supply their
versions of the drawings)... RSN.  Those who disagree had better
speak up too, and both groups need to hope that their comments
don't get lost in the weeds of speculation about mechanisms that
are well outside the WG's scope.

My understanding is that Vint is sufficiently on travel that
there will be no opportunity for formal consensus calls on any
of these issues before the drop-dead cutoff Monday, so I'll just
have to interpret what I get and pull things out (or put them
back in) later if I get it wrong.

For what I hope are obvious reasons, people should assume that
the default, in the absence of clear comments and indications
about what should be done, is going to be "no change": going
around in circles doesn't get us anywhere.