Proposed change to the charter to do IDNAv2 instead of IDNA2008

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Fri Jan 23 01:46:10 CET 2009

Hmmm. If this were to go forward (and I have no sense of which direction the
WG leans), I would not want to lose some of the valuable work that was done
in the WG, like the expanded bidi rules that Harald and others came up with
to avoid (as much as possible) the bidi reordering problems, or the work
that Patrik has done with tables, or the work that John has done with
clarifying the definitions of terms and how they interrelate. (And not
discounting the contributions that others have made in feedback on these
docs.)

That is, if the WG leans this way, I would at least like to see a document
as a part of the charter with recommendations to avoid labels that don't
qualify under the rules we have developed in the tables and bidi documents,
and which utilizes where possible the definitional framework that John has
developed.

Mark