Additonal prefixes (was: Re: Final Sigma (was: RE: Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ))

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Thu Feb 26 20:05:04 CET 2009

Hi John and Vint,

I certainly agree that we should do as much as possible with xn--.
However, at the same time, I am sympathetic to the Greek concern about
tonos (and the German wish for Eszett). I was simply exploring the
xo-- idea.

Note that we may not need a new prefix for each language. For example,
xo-- could start out as a prefix for the Greek script only (if that
was the first script to have rules under the xo-- scheme). The Arabic
script might be the 2nd one to be added to the xo-- spec, presumably
to cope with ZWNJ and maybe even ZWJ.

However, I agree with you that it would be difficult for a piece of
software to decide which spec to use (xn-- vs xo--) when a user is
typing on a keyboard. We certainly don't want the user to type "xn--"
or "xo--". They should just be able to type characters from their own
language, as long as they are letters or digits.

So, I'm going to drop the idea. If someone else wants to run with it, go ahead.

Erik