Not changing the prefix

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Thu Feb 26 19:56:30 CET 2009

At 11:32 PM -0500 2/25/09, Vint Cerf wrote:
>Before we go down the path of introducing a collection of prefixes, I
>think we have a lot to get done with the xn-- version first.

At what point does this WG consider changing the prefix? We are currently discussing breaking the stability of names that any reasonable implementer of IDNA2003 would have expected under the current prefix. We are also discussing greatly reducing the expected interoperability in exchange for not having to do another revision later.

Are these acceptable to do without changing the version identifier (which in this case is the prefix)?

I do not want to change the prefix, but I also don't want to do things that would normally cause us to change it but then not change it anyhow. That kind of cheating has always led to bad protocols in the IETF; we can do better.