Final Sigma (was: RE: Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ)

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Wed Feb 25 00:17:50 CET 2009

The original IDNA2003 mapping was chosen for a purpose: it allows χρήσης.gr
and ΧΡΉΣΗΣ.gr to both go to the same page, without requiring bundling. (Note
the two different kinds of lowercase sigmas.)

I still think a better approach would be to retain the mapping for
compatibility, but specify that when converting back from punycode, trailing
sigmas be transformed into final sigmas. For example, in the address bar you
could type ΧΡΉΣΗΣ.gr, and when you went to the page you'd see χρήσης.gr in
the address bar.

The only downside I can see is that it would encourage Greek domain names to
use interior hyphens where necessary to get the sigma right. So you would
want to register

ευρείας-χρήσης.gr <http://xn----tlbbisas8eesdbp8a.gr>
  instead of
ευρείασχρήσης.gr <http://xn--jxas2ajbt.gr>

But that's not a big downside compared with the alternatives.

Mark