Unicode position on local mapping

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Wed Feb 18 11:20:27 CET 2009

--On Wednesday, February 18, 2009 03:30 +0100 JFC Morfin
<jefsey at jefsey.com> wrote:

>> At 01:10 18/02/2009, John C Klensin wrote:
>
> Dear John,
> We are not talking here of mapping on the registration side,
> but in the naming policy; to be voted by the ".fr" ccTLD BoD -
> or the French Parliament, since ".fr" is legally delegated as
> a public service.
>
> The actual way this will be implemented will then be a
> different question.
>
> The position can either be for the Gov to publish an RFP
> calling for an alternative solution to IDNA, or for users to
> develop it and use it with broad support. I think the
> consensus will be pragmatic: "confusion starts from the very
> mistyping".

I was writing from the standpoint of the implementation
pragmatics, rather than from that of the process by which the
decision would be made, so we had a slight miscommunication.
However, I am also assuming that France would be unlikely to cut
itself off from the global Internet by adopting a protocol
"alternative to IDNA" that would require specialized
implementations of browsers and other application software and
perhaps specialized implementations of the DNS --
implementations that would not interoperate in predictable ways
with the software used elsewhere in the world.

But your explanation makes part of the point I was trying to
make to Mark and Andrew:  if something we do constrains an
implementation past the point that the implementers (or relevant
policy-makers) consider acceptable, we will see "solutions" that
cause far more "massive" interoperability problems than a mere
few mismatched characters, even if those lead to false
positives.  If we treat a pair of characters that might be
considered the same as distinct, then the registry (and policy
makers) have all three possible options: using matching
registrations to treat the pair the same way, using variant
blocking to be sure that only one is registered, or treating
labels containing the two forms as distinct.   It is rationale
to hope that set of choices gives the decision-makers enough
flexibility to avoid their deciding that there is no reasonable
choice other than to, e.g., creating a DNS variation that would
do server-side matching in a way precisely adapted to French
needs.  By contrast, if we did the mapping and made a choice
that was unacceptable, the odds of the sort of RFP you describe
are obviously increased.

>> > and another possible meaning, which is "expanding to match
>> > other characters, and registering those _too_?  For instance
>> > the example that Jefsey provided is just école.fr and
>> > ecole.fr, which could easily be resolved by registering
>> XÀole.fr also whenever xn--cole-9oa.fr is registered.
>
> Unfortunately, this proposed procedural patch
>
> 1. does not make sense since ecole.fr is already registered
> (actually in this case reserved) and a decision MUST be taken.
> As for probably a million of other accentuated domain names).

Without expressing a position as to whether it would be wise or
not, practical or not, this is consistent with the reasons why
many domains have created sunrise or similar mechanisms to aid
with the introduction of new facilities such as IDNs.  And
decisions about the relationship between IDNs that contain
decorated characters and the base label string (with only
undecorated ones) will have to be taken in every domain that
uses Latin characters and introduces IDNs.

> 2. is not legally acceptable:
>
> --- "école" means school;
> --- "ecole" can be a TM: ex. http://www.defl.ca/fr/ecole.html.
> For other terms the accentuated and the non-accentuated terms
> are different words or TMs.

Here is where you confuse me, or perhaps we confuse each other.
Because of its exact-match properties, the DNS (with or without
IDNs) is notably unsuited to a "do what I mean" function.  I am
probably misunderstanding you, but it appears from the above
that you are expecting a system that will cause the same pair of
labels to be treated as matching under some circumstances and as
not-matching in others.  I don't know how to do that in the DNS
or in any conceivable IDN protocol that rests on top of it.

> --- "Ecole" will usually mean a national school.
> --- "schule", "scola", etc. are valid terms from French
> languages that would not suffer the constraint. This would
> create an anti-competitive  commercial image imballance.
> --- There is "ecole.gouv.fr" which will oblige to a documented
> legal terminology decision.

> 3. would violates the French language and people's equality. I
> do not see it being legally and technically accepted just
> because the IETF did not find a solution.

I don't understand how one can have a reasonable expectation of
both "A" and "not-A" being true at the same time, which your
comment appears to require unless the situation is to be treated
as unfair and anticompetitive.  That would make simple
first-order logic unfair.  Perhaps it is, but I don't know quite
what to do about it.  Even without IDNs, if I obtain a label in
a particular domain that you think you would like because it
bears some relation to your business, you may reasonably believe
that my having it is anticompetitive.   But, if you were able to
take it away from me, I would probably consider that act
anticompetitive for the same reason.  There is no way to win in
such a competition.  Instead, societies invent rules that permit
one entity to use the name and the other to not do so or perhaps
for neither to use the name.   This is really no different, or
so it appears to me.

    regards,