Unicode position on local mapping

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Wed Feb 18 03:30:28 CET 2009

>At 01:10 18/02/2009, John C Klensin wrote:

Dear John,
We are not talking here of mapping on the registration side, but in
the naming policy; to be voted by the ".fr" ccTLD BoD - or the French
Parliament, since ".fr" is legally delegated as a public service.

The actual way this will be implemented will then be a different question.

The position can either be for the Gov to publish an RFP calling for
an alternative solution to IDNA, or for users to develop it and use
it with broad support. I think the consensus will be pragmatic:
"confusion starts from the very mistyping".

> > Andrew Sullivan
> > To be clear, are you here distinguishing the narrow meaning of
> > "mapping" to mean "transforming one character into another",
>
>yes
>
> > and another possible meaning, which is "expanding to match
> > other characters, and registering those _too_?  For instance
> > the example that Jefsey provided is just école.fr and
> > ecole.fr, which could easily be resolved by registering
>XÀole.fr also whenever xn--cole-9oa.fr is registered.

Unfortunately, this proposed procedural patch

1. does not make sense since ecole.fr is already registered (actually
in this case reserved) and a decision MUST be taken. As for probably
a million of other accentuated domain names).

2. is not legally acceptable:

--- "école" means school;
--- "ecole" can be a TM: ex. http://www.defl.ca/fr/ecole.html. For
other terms the accentuated and the non-accentuated terms are
different words or TMs.
--- "Ecole" will usually mean a national school.
--- "schule", "scola", etc. are valid terms from French languages
that would not suffer the constraint. This would create an
anti-competitive  commercial image imballance.
--- There is "ecole.gouv.fr" which will oblige to a documented legal
terminology decision.

3. would violates the French language and people's equality. I do not
see it being legally and technically accepted just because the IETF
did not find a solution.

>Andrew Sullivan
>This
> > doesn't need anything at all in the IDNA protocol -- you can
> > do it all with registration bundling.
>
>Exactly.  But I read Jefsey's note as saying that it was up to
>the registry whether to do that or not.  If it was not done,
>then the two strings would effectively be treated as completely
>different strings, as different as, say, "école" and "school".

The question is related to case folding.
Both domain names can also be typed as "Ecole.fr".

>I agree with that, but note that, were the protocol to
>do/require the mapping between "é" and "e", the registry would
>be deprived of the ability to make the choice. Of course, no
>one has seriously suggested that mapping,

That mapping is currently de-facto imposed as "ecole" is the only way
to "école".
jfc