Re: Mississippi Hißes

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sun Dec 13 14:44:01 CET 2009

Alex,

these are good operational points. Ultimately, I think your line of
reasoning leads us to recognize that if we make previously mapped
characters PVALID, we must think of their use in registrations as
functionally independent. If registrant wants them to exhibit the
earlier mapped effect, the registrant will need to make their
independent resolution achieve this equivalence for him. This suggests
to me that the registration process and the resolution process should
be seen as very distinct. While we might adopt rules that operate
during registration to give the effect of "bundling" (essentially
assuring the registrant of getting all bundled forms), once this
registration occurs, it is up to the registrant to manage the set of
associated domain names to achieve equivalence, if that is desired.

Vint