Another Transition Plan Proposal

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 11 00:47:33 CET 2009

For the time frame I want a deadline.  It isn't easy for me to turn on (or off) support if the time slips.  So I'd rather ask the registrars how long they need, pad it a little, and then stick with it.

Suppose de, at, etc agree on 6 months.  Then after 5 months Google says they need 2 more months.  Then after 7 months, live.com says they just became aware that this impacts them and they need some time.  Then yahoo says that if their competitors are doing it they want to fix it too.

So I'd much rather specify a time 6-12 months and stick to it.

As I said before I think tons of places are going to get hit by the transition.  Many lower level zones don't have infrastructure to bundle.  Users get one name, that's it.

Is the WG going to wait a year for someone to redesign, and another to adopt it?  Catch-22: if we did, maybe they end up waiting until it gets urgent to even start planning.
AFAICR(remember), some individuals noted that the words differ, however the registrars seemed to think bundling was more useful for their use.

-Shawn

Sent from my HTC FUZE™, a Windows Mobile® smartphone from AT&T