Additional thoughts on TRANSITIONAL

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Dec 7 12:16:34 CET 2009

Hello Andrew,

The registry/zone operator is one thing. But while e.g. .xy may be of
the opinion that they never supported IDNA2003, I may have registered
masse.xy with them, but all over the place I may have written <a
href='www.maße.xy'> because my site is about measures (Maße), not about
(physical body) mass (Masse). For the other three characters, the
situation is quite a bit easier, of course.

So I think we cannot get around the fact that for some time, ß may stop
to work at all if we want to get to the state that ss/ß are clearly
distinguished where necessary. As a reminder, IE6 doesn't support IDNA,
and so currently, ß still doesn't work for quite a bit (10%-25%
depending on the statistic) of Web users.

Regards,   Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp