Another thoughts on TRANSITIONAL

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Mon Dec 7 07:03:30 CET 2009

On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 07:51:18AM -0500, Vint Cerf wrote:
> under IDNA2008 rules on a registry by registry basis (I mean registry
> in its
> most general sense, not just TLD)

I agree that could work if they did well, but in practice we know some registries will behave poorly (or at least some zones, if not the TLD).

In practice it comes back to the problem where if some zones probably WILL allow an IDNA2008 name to be registered that previously had an IDNA2003 mapping for that label.  If there isn't anything in lookup to prevent it, those IDNA2003 labels will get "hijacked".

I don't know the size of the risk, but I'm concerned it could be painful for someone.

-Shawn