Mapping?

Pete Resnick presnick at qualcomm.com
Mon Dec 7 07:40:42 CET 2009

On 12/3/09 9:18 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 02/12/09 10:06, Lisa Dusseault wrote:
>
>> One slightly more solid question for browsers is, would it be entirely
>> crazy to have different mapping algorithms for typed-in domain names
>> than for links followed?  There might be a locale-dependent mapping as
>> well as a global mapping.  (I assume that having every established
>> locale mapping installed would be complete craziness.)
>>
> IMO crazy. People type URLs into web browsers. Other people type URLs
> into HTML documents. We can't have the same letters in those two
> locations taking you to different places.

Generally staying out of this discussion, but: If we were considering to
do this correctly (IMO), typed-in domains with DISALLOWED characters
would get mapped, and links followed would get "Bite Me!" in big bold
letters and the equivalent of an NXDOMAIN. Anything that takes typed
input that maps should dynamically "correct" to PVALID things, and
anything that is taking data should scream bloody murder if the domain
labels are not all PVALID.

Yes, I know I'm not convincing anyone of this. But it's the right thing
to do.

Back to my hidey-hole.

pr