WG Review: Recharter of Internationalized Domain Names in Applications, Revised (idnabis)

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Wed Aug 19 22:18:36 CEST 2009

At 3:17 PM -0400 8/19/09, Vint Cerf wrote:
>we are so close to the finish line that I don't think it is worth the
>time and potential controversy to revise the charter beyond giving
>flexibility on the mapping matter.

Fully agree. But I think you misread Thomas' message. He asked for clarity on what the differences between the current charter and the proposed new charter are. He pointed out that the proposed new charter has some obvious time and document count errors in it, but he didn't insist that those be changed. (I note that probably the majority of WG charters have such errors in them at any given time.)

To answer Thomas' question: the diff is in the last bit part of the charter.

Current:
The assumptions outlined above are considered critical to the WG
constituted by this charter.  The WG will stop work and recommend that
a new charter be generated if it concludes that any of the following are
necessary to meet its goals:
. . .
   (iii) A change to the basic approach taken in the design team
documents (Namely: independence from Unicode version and elimination of
character mapping in the protocol)

Proposed:
. . .
  (iii) A change to the basic approach taken in the design team
documents (Namely: independence from Unicode version and reduction of
dependency on character mapping )